Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pilates and Weight Loss

The truth is, up until recently, I didn’t believe Pilates was the ideal fit for someone who had a great deal of weight to lose. I am happy to report that I have changed my position completely.

Much of the equipment is not designed to accommodate very large people. A reformer can be confusing and awkward for anyone in the beginning but if you actually have trouble fitting on it, you may just want to leave the studio after your first session and never come back. And although Pilates can become aerobic when you have some background and can get your “flow” going, to the beginner who is de-conditioned, the process of learning the material can be very slow. You will not always get a quick cardio calorie burn right away. For these reasons, I used to have my reservations about helping people use Pilates to achieve significant weight loss.

I learned that I was wrong the way we instructors learn most things-from our clients. Several people came to me at once last year, with a goal of losing 50 to 100 pounds. Although I had the concerns and reservations I expressed above, more than anything, I wanted to help these people reach their goal and I discovered that I could. Although cardio is recommended as the quickest road to weight loss, when you are really overweight, there are usually other complications that make cardio impossible. Excess weight on the joints can cause a chain of problems, which become exacerbated by walking, never mind running. A lack of body awareness and stabilization from the “power house” or core, combined with excess weight will most likely make even standing a strain on the back. Therefore, I started with the goal of getting these clients strong enough to be able to do other kinds of activities that would be more cardiovascular. I discarded a lot of my own ideas of how a typical session is supposed to go. We mainly worked on the cadillac and gradually worked up to more time on the reformer. I stayed focused on the goals; Strengthen, align, increase flexibility and burn calories. The results I saw were amazing. I would sometimes tear up with excitement during a session when I realized how far we had come. Developing more muscle in the body makes you burn more calories. Exercising makes you feel like eating better. Learning to use the muscles as deeply as you do in Pilates carries over to regular life and you are constantly using more fuel simply by holding your body in a way that is supported by the “power house.” I have always wanted to believe that Pilates really is for everyone, and now I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment